C-Tiers

Discussion in 'Aesthetics and Beauty Discussion' started by hmmmmmmmmmmm, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Teresa Turnip

Teresa Turnip C1 known member

Yes, I agree with the whole “Lolita” label, that’s what I was trying to get at with “sexy preppy” but I didn’t really know how to put it. All in all, Ariana Grande has still crafted an aesthetic that has a stronger presence than her actual face, making her seem more attractive. I do agree that peacocking is generally much more extravagant and I agree with your examples, excluding Zendaya, because although she is styled heavily, her face is still an eye catching part of her look imo.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Teresa Turnip

Teresa Turnip C1 known member

A
    Actually I must correct myself, I think she has created more of a brand than an aesthetic because looking back, her style was not very cohesive. Either way I think it adds to her appeal

• Like Like x 5
  3. Wren

Wren B2 Prom QUEEN

I think @venusbaby raises a great point about glamour that is often overlooked in this forum: like algorithms that are trained to recognize the markers of an object rather than the object itself (ex. stop signs are red and octagonal, so anything that displays those characteristics will be identified as one), we, too, can sometimes get lost in the "signals" of attractiveness, failing to see beyond them and account for more important qualifiers of beauty, such as bone structure and facial harmony.

Jayne Mansfield, dubbed the "poor man's Marilyn Monroe", was certainly no great beauty, but became a sex symbol because people looked at her lipstick, hair, and jewelry and let their minds fill in the rest—assuming that because she possessed many of the superficial traits of attractive people (full, richly colored lips, shiny hair, long eyelashes, etc.) that she was herself attractive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peacocking, however, I view as a somewhat distinct concept from glamour in that none of the subsequent examples are seen as particularly beautiful or sexy by the public. Instead, they're regarded as style icons—their looks are impressive, but not necessarily attractive.

By my definition of the term, at least, peacocking is not merely “dressing well”, nor is it having a cohesive style; if those were the criteria, both Audrey Hepburn and Zooey Deschanel would qualify, but their fashion choices are far too restrained, too understated. Rather, it’s the purposeful construction of a dramatic, idiosyncratic aesthetic that conveys a sense of artifice and heightened luxury almost in the realm of camp or bad taste—think Mae West, Dolly Parton levels of extravagance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some style choices that can create this effect:

Hair and makeup
    • Big, effortful hairstyles: afros, beehives, vintage pincurls.
    • High-contrast or unnatural hair colors: peroxide blonde, jet black, fire-engine red.
    • Heavy, hyperfeminine makeup: huge false eyelashes, winged eyeliner, lots of contouring, bright lipstick.
    Clothing
    • Exaggerated cuts: long trains, bell sleeves, shoulder pads, corsets.
    • Luxurious fabrics or materials: fur, satin, velvet, sequins.
    • Bright, rich, or "artificial" looking colors: neons, jewel tones, pastels, metallics.
    • Overaccessorizing: matching hats, gloves, heels, bags.
    • Copious amounts of oversize jewelry
    • Ornate patterns and prints
    • Formality
    2010s styling (both fashion and makeup) was rather avant-garde and influenced by drag, so contemporary examples of peacocking are abundant, but some public figures who have pulled it off consistently include:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  4. Senait

Senait A3 Instamodel

Somebody that I also think that has an aesthetic that elevates her in tiers is Bella hadid. She always seems to trend for her looks, I also feel that it is her aesthetic that pushed her from her sisters shadow, it was always Gigi’s sister ‘xyz’ until it be came the:
    Bella inspired hair
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    make up look:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Senait

Senait A3 Instamodel

And the most that elevates her is her style, though it’s fits more of today rather then vintage glamour. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. Purple

Purple S3 VS Angel

If an average looking woman wore half of Bella hadids outfits it would look objectively distasteful and just too try-hard. these outfits only looks good on Bella because she’s pretty And tall.

• Like Like x 12
  7. naikori

naikori B1 Love Island Babe

I feel like Bella also just has this “expensive” look to her that makes it all work together. Some people’s faces don’t match their style (although everybody has a right to dress how they please), and it creates a lack of harmony. I can’t imagine Jennifer Lawrence trying to dress like Bella and having it work.

• Like Like x 4
  8. brontë

brontë B3 Pretty Bitch

yep, unfortunately, as much as I like her.. her face is droopy when i compared her to some models/beautiful actresses.. she also has no sex appeal.

• Like Like x 2
  9. brontë

brontë B3 Pretty Bitch

honestly, people who are tall are so lucky.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Naveena

Naveena B1 Love Island Babe

All of the women in the “not a content house” except Dev (the black girl) and Lauren (girl with dark brown hair and fuller lips).

74093D30-84A4-40A4-A5AE-EAD70189D660.jpeg 5B554E36-DD4B-4DDB-AAA1-86A9B2982A44.jpeg

(she is only 16 and has gotten lip filler)[ AA8B7275-C03D-424E-94EA-3699B411950E.jpeg 2F5A579D-FCFE-4033-96BD-8D1A23D8DE49.jpeg ^lauren haloes her]

[ 56D7B7E9-1DF3-40D4-AD84-2BA03DF55C0C.jpeg 2869EE37-4B66-4284-A9F3-0CA78DC46934.jpeg even C1 Charli haloes her.]

[ E696D756-6770-4906-97B1-CCFEE4F39E23.jpeg she is definitely overfilled]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Placebo

Placebo B2 Prom QUEEN

Their eyelash extensions are terrifying

• Like Like x 6
  12. Purple

Purple S3 VS Angel

That cynthia Parker girl looks exactly like madison beer lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Naveena

Naveena B1 Love Island Babe

she tries very hard to be like her. She makes the exact same facial expressions in all her pics. I find her “sexy face” to be especially cringe-inducing.

14. Esmeralda

Esmeralda A2 Top Model

It's disturbing how teenage girls are pushed to look like women.

• Like Like x 5