Hair care

Discussion in 'Skincare Discussion' started by Nina, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Nina

Nina A3 Instamodel

I personally find it very difficult to find valid Hair product and also often skip the styling process because I’m afraid the heat would damage them a lot. Do you know if with a heat protection spray I could use heat tools on my hair without damage? I also wanted to try these products because I heard great things about them, are they worth the hype?
    upload_2020-9-19_16-7-1.jpeg upload_2020-9-19_16-7-38.jpeg upload_2020-9-19_16-8-9.jpeg

2. Moonlightx95

Moonlightx95 B2 Prom QUEEN

I would recommend olaplex out of all of those, but the ogx are not so good for your hair ! they are full of silicons and sulfates. Maui moisture is a good brand that I use! it makes my hair so shiny and after when its slightly damp I put some jojoba oil at the ends and it really helps make it look nice and healthy

• Like Like x 6
  3. Chloé

Chloé A2 Top Model

Also avoid using too many products on your hair! Conditioner is fine but doing for example hairmasks after every wash will not be beneficial for your hair in the long run. Personally, I’ve only used natural hair products for years and I would always recommend it as most brands use ingredients you really don‘t want in your hair. Styling your hair with heat every once in a while should be fine but on most days I would stick to letting your hair air-dry as heat will always damage your hair, even when using a protective spray

• Like Like x 5
  4. Claire Moon

Claire Moon A2 Top Model

I would stay away from the ogx shampoo and conditioner, I tried it a couple years ago and didn't like at all.
    I have VERY dry hair and this leave in conditioner is AMAZING:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nina

Nina A3 Instamodel

Also heard great things about this new garnier line with all organic ingredient, there’s different ingredient for different hair types and there’s shampoo, conditioner and mask, a bit more pricey than usual garnier products but still affordable. I’m definitely gonna try them soon
    upload_2020-9-22_20-39-33.jpeg upload_2020-9-22_20-42-25.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. brontë

brontë B2 Prom QUEEN

I might sound like just a loser hippie recommending THIS next to all the Garnier, Opalex, etc ... branded hair products, but using olive oil is actually good. just applying 2 hours before a shower. It doesn't need to be the expensive 100% natural one. Just a few drops does wonders in time. It did for my frizzy hair.

• Like Like x 3
  7. sxltynights

sxltynights A3 Instamodel

I agree! I use extra virgin olive oil once a week during 30 minutes and it does wonders for me too!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nina

Nina A3 Instamodel

Do you apply it on the lenghts or on the roots? Or both? Might give it a try!

9. sxltynights

sxltynights A3 Instamodel

only on the ends since I have very oily hair but I heard that massaging oil on your scalp promotes hair growth too, just make sure to rinse it very well!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. balayagebarbie

balayagebarbie A2 Top Model

Some of the OGX products are decent. They all smell great. But not my personal favourite. I've used so many different hair care brands/products and I actually prefer Live Clean over any high end shampoo/conditioners.

As for heat prep- I always use moroccan oil, this ion blowdry lotion, and a drybar spray.

Be careful with the olaplex. It shouldn't be used for more than 10 minutes because it's so protein rich, and too much protein in the hair can actually cause breakage. My hairdresser hates olaplex because when you use the entire line that is protein rich, it has long term negatives. She had a client who used the bond rebuilder overnight, and her hair broke off so much she had to get 4 inches cut off because her hair couldn't handle that much protein infusion.

The kerastase line is also really good. Pretty pricey, but I haven't tried a product I don't like.
    As for heat styling, I personally think the fears are way too exaggerated. We all have different hair types.hair strengths, and while some finer hair can't handle heat, my hair honestly thrives. I do a blowout almost every day, I have colour treated hair- but my hair is really long and healthy. I trim my ends at least once a month, and I let my hair air dry about 70-80% before I use the dryer.

It's important to get to know your hair type and learn what your hair can handle, and what products work best on your hair type. I realized about 5 years ago that the fears of heat tools are not relevant for me. I think if you misuse tools, use shitty products- like flat irons that have poor quality heat plates- then you can do some real damage. I tried the conair styler, and it literally had a burning smell so I immediately returned it. Some brands/products are just superior quality and when used properly, impart less damage. And some dryers don't have a regulated max temperature, so they can heat above the stated maximum. Long story short- invest in good quality tools if you use them frequently.

Also PLEASE check out this video!
    This woman tested heat protectants on hair- and found out they actually burn har FASTER than unpreped hair. So it's something to think about.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 10.14.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 10.15.44 AM.png

• Like Like x 4
  11. balayagebarbie

This is a marketing scheme. These products suck. Cool packaging because it looks like a smoothie bottle, but the products are not good and I'm not a fan of any of the fragrance. I'd pass on these if I were you.

• Like Like x 2
  12. balayagebarbie

Glad it works for you!
    The one thing I will say, is that ingredients in hair products are modified at the molecular level to be a molecular density that actually penetrates the follicle/ does whatever claim. Like when a product says "contains avocado", the oils/extract has been modified to an optimal level so that it actually does something for your scalp/strands. Molecular density really matters when it comes to skin care and hair care.

Putting oil on will likely make the texture feel more smooth, but it doesn't do much because the molecules have not been treated/optimized to work for hair. It's why at home DIY kitchen face masks are an absolute joke. The properties of various foods for the skin/hair are contingent on the extract being at an appropriate molecular density. Mushing up avocado/egg/oil or whatever else just leaves a residue that may feel nice, but it's not imparting any benefits that come along from consuming that food. Not that you were making that claim, but it's an opportunity to make the point :)

Putting olive oil on the hair will leave a residue that probably mimics the feelings of hydrated hair.

• Like Like x 4
  13. tygirlzz

tygirlzz C2 avg member

Rosemary oil is great to add into your hair care it makes your hair soo thick and you only need a little bit :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. christinax

christinax C2 avg member

You need to research what ingredients are actually beneficial and look for those ingredients in each product. Google something like "Why do heat protectants work", "hair heat protectant ingredients to look for", "heat protectant ingredient breakdown". You basically have to just teach yourself in order to make informed decisions. Once you learn about ingredients, it makes hair and skin care purchases much easier. You should also search about what temperatures are safe for your hair. I've seen charts that show different hair types, matched with the max temp you can use before damage begins. So I keep all my heat tools below 230 degrees, or something like that, so the damage is minimized.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Eléa

Eléa A1 Elite Model

It depends on the porosity of your hair, take a strand of your hair and place it on the top of a bowl of water, wait 4 minutes and if it floats it's low porosity and vice versa

• Like Like x 1