Nina Dobrev at her prime + her botched face now. Overrated, underrated or neither?

Discussion in 'Aesthetics and Beauty Discussion' started by lola x 3 2, Jun 30, 2020.

1. lola x 3 2

lola x 3 2 C3 puberty stage

I was scrolling through this thread and saw someone mention Nina Dobrev. I was going to post all of what I've written below as a reply but i thought it'd be interesting to make a whole thread about it and discuss her alleged cosmetic procedures and what went wrong with her. Just like i mention in the reply that i was going to make, she genuinely had a lot of potential and it's really sad to look at her now. She's only 31. I personally believe that her destroying her face so quckily is what truly hindered her career too.

IMO Nina Dobrev wasn't "overrated".

Not because she is/was truly gorgeous or anything like that since she isn't but because i don't think that anyone really considered her to be amazingly gorgeous during TVD's peak. People forget that Megan Fox was the it girl at the time. No one was deluding themselves into thinking that Nina's the most beautiful girl in the world, especially not during that time period. Jennifer Anniston on the other hand... people and magazines kept claiming that she is "the most beautiful woman in the world" for years. Hell no.

Dobrev has never been a showstopping beauty but I've always liked how much her face embodied this cute, girl next door-ish slash sultry look and i believe that this is what people mainly liked about her too.

She had some really basic features and wore really basic makeup during the show as Elena and still managed to pull it off. She only started to look bad after she gained weight in around S4-S5 and her chain smoking started catching up with her but she looked fine with Katherine's styling even then.

She would've looked way better with more makeup (Katherine's makeup really suited her and it was a simple smokey eye), some botox, a tiny bit of lip filler and better styling. Her simply wearing some nice lingerie and adding some basic accessories to her outfits as Katherine really elevated her look.

If she'd went out of her way to dress herself properly and do her makeup nicely on a daily basis she would be considered to be much prettier than she ever was considered to be by the general public. Her career peak would've lasted much longer too and could've been bigger. One might argue that her looks would be overrated THEN. She ruined her face by the end of the show but you still get what i mean.

Think Blake Lively. She's painfully basic without the styling + she's had plenty of work done too. Arguably Nina looks much better than her naturally. Just look at pictures of Blake before her eye and nose job(s) and red carpet pictures of her prior to the Hollywood glam transformation and compare her to natural Nina.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She might be C tier (at least according to some of you guys) but i still think that she looks much better than other stereotypical "girl next door" C tier female celebrities like Kaley Cuoco and Taylor Swift. If Kaley and Taylor dyed their hair brown and were forced to wear Elena Gilbert's painfully basic clothes they'd look even worse compared to Nina. She had much more charisma too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sadly there aren't any pictures of Nina next to Taylor before she ruined her face but here's an edit that proves what i'm saying:
    [​IMG]
    Even the blue eyes and blonde hair can't save Taylor next to prime Nina. And we all know that the blur effect is real. It's the only reason why Scarlett Johansson has a career. If anything, some of you guys are underestimating prime Nina. She does indeed look horrendous now but that's a completely different topic. She had a lot of potential.

Speaking of her ruining her face, this girl on YouTube talked about Nina's alleged surgeries in her latest video and i honestly agree with everything that she said. At first i thought that her eating disorder, chain smoking and thick brows was what destroyed her looks but she looked way too different facially. I thought that she had done something to her face but i couldn't pinpoint what it was. Here's the video (timestamp's 3:10):

She isn't as pretty as Madison Beer naturally (or now) but her original face shape slightly reminds me of Beer's, especially when looking at her side profile.

I'm wondering whether her getting some lip, jaw, chin (and potentially cheek since she kept losing weight) filler would've been much better for her? Madison doesn't have chin filler but according to MBC she's had jaw, lip and cheek filler and it made her face much more harmonious and beautiful although i think that she's taken it too far at this point. Nina's chin on the other hand looks a tiny bit horizontally short for her face.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Granted, i don't think that Nina's nose could've been fixed (although by the looks of it she tried and it made her look worse) but she could've opted for procedures that made her face more harmonious, as opposed to trying to change her face shape like she allegedly did with that chin wing implant. I truly think that filler in her chin would've accentuated her v-shaped chin in a good way and would've made her look better. Her face genuinely looked much more v-shaped/heart-shaped before and it suited her. It was a part of her charm.

[​IMG]

I don't know a lot about these kinds of implants but if it's similar to a normal chin implant i hope that she can and will eventually get it removed. Her eye shape is destroyed permanently now too but she can at least make her brows thinner again although for some reason she keeps insisting on keeping them thick. Doesn't suit her AT ALL.

The alleged cheek implants look fake and puffy on her too. One of the reasons why her nasolabial folds look worse. The same thing happened to Lana Del Ray and her cheek implants. They tried to add volume to their faces, potentially in order to look more youthful but it aged them A LOT.

Here is an interview of her back when she looked really pretty because IMO pictures don't do her justice. She looks way better in motion:

Sure, she was never going to be Angelina Jolie or some kind of "once in a generation" type of beauty. But she was really pretty and looked really sweet yet sultry with minimal makeup on. She looks awful now.

• Like Like x 7
  2. sabine

sabine Moderator
    Staff Member

I think Nina as Katherine was absolutely gorgeous. People do underestimate prime Nina with good styling.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Chani

Chani A3 Instamodel

Yes it’s interesting bc Elena seemed dull to me but Katherine was stunning.

• Like Like x 2
  4. lola x 3 2

I agree! She looked really sexy and mysterious.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... continued in the next reply

• Like Like x 2
  5. lola x 3 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... continued in the next reply

• Like Like x 1
  6. lola x 3 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Her body was amazing too. She looked really outstanding, even next to Ian freaking Somerhalder. You know that she can hold damn good on her own when anyone (of any gender) isn't being extremely halo-ed by him. That Caroline chick on the other hand looked 1324298x more bland next to him. I would classify HER as C tier, not Nina.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I almost forgot what an amazing chemistry they had :)...

Plus according to MBC Taylor Swift is B tier. So i don't get why people in this forum are saying that Nina is C tier. She obviously is (or at least used to be) higher than Taylor. Then again, someone in here literally rated Marilyn Monroe C tier and Elizabeth Taylor B tier so I'm not surprised. The delusion. You can't help but wonder what some of these posters look like given their weird and obviously unfair ratings. Reminds me of r/truerateme's incel ratings on Reddit.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. calllyope

calllyope C1 known member

I've never seen any film or show with Nina on it, but I can agree that she's cute. However, she doesn't really stand out to me, it's not that difficult to find "normal" people on the streets that look like her. I'm not experienced enough to give accurate rates, but I'd say she's around a C1/2.

I'd suggest you express your opinions in a more respectful way. You do not have the absolute truth, and neither do the rest of us. You think Nina deserves a higher rate? Great! You're completely free of thinking so. However, you're no one to say other's opinions are wrong or calling them delusional lol

• Like Like x 3
  8. lola x 3 2

I don't see how i'm not being respectful. MBC came up with the rating system that we're using and she has stated that Taylor Swift is B tier. I uploaded a picture of prime Nina and Taylor next to her and Nina was obviously halo-ing Taylor and looked better than her. Therefore, Nina cannot be C tier. Not by any stretch of the imagination. I didn't make the rules, MBC did.

I was saying that people who specifically call Marilyn Monroe C tier and Elizabeth Taylor B tier (given the fact that MBC has ranked PRE-SURGERIES Kendall Jenner as B tier and T-Swift as B tier) are delusional. Some people's inability to apply logic and think critically has nothing to do with me being respectful or not. I'm simply following MBC's rating system and plenty of people in this forum obviously aren't.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Catdefrumoasaesti?

Catdefrumoasaesti? B2 Prom QUEEN

I'm not 100% sure but I think MCB ranked nina as C1 in a comment on insta.

• Like Like x 2
  10. lola x 3 2

Which means that she either overrated Taylor Swift or underrated Nina. Or she might consider Nina to be C1 NOW, not prime Nina.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Chani

Chani A3 Instamodel

I think prime Nina was B1/2 now she’s probably c1.

• Like Like x 4
  12. lola x 3 2

I agree. She looks pretty bad now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. miamali

miamali A2 Top Model

Its crazy how she looks like Emmanuelle Chriqui!
    20200702_100713.jpg

14. Bananabread

Bananabread Moderator
    Staff Member

I don’t know why you had to get so personal by saying “ I wonder what these posters look like” at the end of the day an ugly person will acknowledge a beautiful person the same way an beautiful person will? If someone rated Marilyn Monroe a c then that their opinion, no need to feel attacked and get all personal, and call them deluded, and claim your the only one here who has the truth and is the only objective one.

• Like Like x 5
  15. brontë

brontë B2 Prom QUEEN

please someone take away the mic from this woman :)))))))

• Like Like x 1
  16. Purple

Purple S3 VS Angel

Nina dobrev is very pretty! The only problem is she looks quite generic. I would still give her like b2 she has amazing harmony.

she doesn’t have any angular features which fit well in photography/videos, so I’d imagine she’s one of those people who look better in real life.

#16 Purple, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Emerald

Emerald A2 Top Model

I personally agree with you that Nina is prettier than Taylor, however, the way you are going about expressing your opinion is condescending and rude.

MBC has stated that (and I stress) ACCORDING TO HER SYSTEM, you cannot just take two random photos of two different celebrities and paste them next to each other to determine halo. They have to be physically standing next to each other, same time, same place, same dimension.

There are a multitude of reasons for this - different lighting, camera quality & photo editing being just a few of factors, plus you can choose a bad of prime photo of one person and a super beautiful, flattering prime photo of another. It’s not possible to determine like for like under these conditions.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Purple

Purple S3 VS Angel

That, and I also think tiers are Still almost kind of subjective to a degree. A person might think Nina is a b1 while another person might think c1 Either way she is objectively somewhere in that range.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Emerald

Emerald A2 Top Model

Completely agree. These ratings aren’t supposed to be taken as an absolute, especially mid-A / B-Tier and below - it becomes a lot more wishy washy and subjective when we’re talking about people whose faces objectively have multiple features that are sub-optimal. At that point it ultimately comes down to which features you personally value more. One person might be all about the eye area, and prioritise beauties with good eye and brow features whilst forgiving a weaker lower third, or vice versa.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Emerald

Emerald A2 Top Model

just re-read this - meant to say you can choose a bad *out of prime* photo of one person.