Perceived Intelligence Based On Looks

Discussion in 'Aesthetics and Beauty Discussion' started by Esmeralda, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda A1 Elite Model

In this thread I'd like to discuss features that shape our perception of a person's intelligence.

For a start these are characteristics that I think make a person appear less intelligent:

• Large, out-turned ears
    • Recessed chin
    • Recessed jaw
    • Mouthbreathing (usually due to the above)
    • Excessively large downturned eyes with ample scleral show
    • Beady eyes
    • Excess weight or haggardly underweight
    However, these are all quite obvious. Also, they are all unattractive. I am aware that research finds that attractive people are perceived to be more intelligent.

Can you:
    1. Think of more features that you think make a person look unintelligent
    2. Think of features that make a person look more intelligent
    3. Think of attractive people that look unintelligent
    4. Think of attractive people that look particularly intelligent
    Describe your looks (below average, average, above average, or use the tier system) and how people perceive your intelligence (below average, average, above average). Do you think there are additional factors contributing to this perception? If so what are they? Are people correct in their judgement of you?

I also believe that fashion plays a big role too, especially for women. Usually when sexuality in dress in present, negative perceptions follow, depending on the location and peers. Women who are very attractive will be perceived to be less intelligent when they adopt a more vulgarly sexual style (the 'bimbo'). Women who adopt an elegantly sensual style may still be perceived as intelligent only in a more cunning way (i.e the femme fatale).

Are there features that make a person look more intelligent or, is intelligence perceived based on the absence of the unintelligent features that usually suggest poor facial development?

I do have an opinion on the above question but I am more curious to read yours.

2. Eléa

Eléa A2 Top Model

I think the "high class" features double as "higher perceived intelligence" features.
    E.g; Tall skull/narrow skull
    Low radix nose/ aqualine nose
    Natural hair colours
    Protruding forehead
    Tall forehead

• Like Like x 2
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda A1 Elite Model

That makes sense, appearing of high status or just wealthy is a huge halo.

What do you mean by protruding? When I read that I thought of an extremely projected brow, but on most people it looks primeval.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Eléa

Eléa A2 Top Model

Nah like Rihanna not a neanderthal

• Like Like x 1
  5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda A1 Elite Model

Ohhh okay. Personally I think that Liv Tyler looks like she would be smart and she has about three of the traits you mentioned.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Catherine Tramell

Catherine Tramell A2 Top Model

Upturned eyes, narrow lids are one feature that makes you look sharp and cunning, as opposed to “intelligent.”

• Like Like x 2
  7. Esmeralda

Esmeralda A1 Elite Model

Hmm that is interesting! Would that register as intelligent and a bit low trust?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Catherine Tramell

Catherine Tramell A2 Top Model

Yes, definitely!

My response is rather late, I would answer the other question you posed as well—how I look and my perceived intelligence.
    I know for a fact that I appear intelligent, people usually presume me to be a good student. For instance, during my interview with my former school principal, he told me that verbatim.

My facial features are as follows—narrow eyelids (my eyes themselves aren’t narrow, but are elongated and positively tilted), eyebrows that are arched and set lower than average, moderate sharpness to my facial structure, although my nose is “cutesy” (upturned, ski-sloped). And my hair colour is dark black.

That said, my demeanor is serious, frequently being classed as “stern/strict.” My style can be characterised as “mature/elegant,” which is again conducive to appearing intelligent.

• Like Like x 2