Solutions for Delicate Skin that Scars Easily

Discussion in 'Skincare Discussion' started by Esmeralda, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda A2 Top Model

As the title says, my skin is pretty delicate and scars easily. Every time I get a blemish, my skin decides that it must commemorate the event by leaving a pigmented spot where the little beast reared its ugly head (PIH). It usually takes my skin about 5-10 days to get rid of the hyperpigmentation, but what can I do to keep it from scarring in the first place?

For some background information, I use a light chemical exfoliant weekly, the primary active ingredient is AHA. My skin is largely clear except for the one or two spots I get every now and then. My skin is a normal-oily combination.

2. Nevi Aniven

Nevi Aniven C1 known member

You should use sunscreen, it prevents pigmentation spots. Also, vitamin C is very useful for brightening the skin.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ava.klan

Ava.klan C3 puberty stage

The key to preventing PIH is to minimise the inflammation as much as possible, I watched a video on YouTube where a Dr said inflammation = PIH.

The gold standard ingredient for scarring is hydroquinone as it decreases the number of melanocytes which make melanin and in turn leaves PIH. Unfortunately, hydroquinone is not available everywhere (you need a prescription in Europe) and you can't use it for long periods of time.

When I get scars I find keeping them moisturised is so important for getting rid of the scar quicker, at night I either put Vaseline or a hydrocolloid patch to keep the 'wound' moist.

Other useful ingredients are:

Alpha Arbutin (a lighter form of HQ and much more easily available)
    Centella Asiatica (used for wound healing, I like to use La Roche Posay Cicaplast B5)
    Retinols (increases rate of skin cell turnover)

Obviously, as Nevi said SPF is super important in preventing the PIH from darkening and if you're putting in all your skincare work the last thing you should forget is SPF!

• Like Like x 3
  4. balayagebarbie

balayagebarbie A3 Instamodel

Totally agree. I love the La Roche Posay product, and I also recommend the Cica Balm with Bija Seed from Innisfree. It's a Korean skincare line, and the bija-cica products are absolute game changers.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda A2 Top Model

Thank you all! I will be sure to look into the products you've recommended.