What should short people wear to be classy???

Discussion in 'Fashion' started by brontë, Sep 23, 2020.

1. brontë

brontë B2 Prom QUEEN

I'm pretty short. Not saying it's bad or good (no offense to anybody) but anything a short person wears ends up looking "cute" or just not that classy. Short people just dont look good in long classy dresses, do they? Any suggesions ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. rabbit

rabbit Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm short too so I understand! You definitely have to think a bit more about what you wear and how you wear it, but I find I wear most of the same stuff my taller friends would wear anyway and imo I look fine. Staying thin is extremely important if you're short, as long as you stay very slim you can still wear most clothes. I think short women need to maintain a lower BMI than their taller counterparts to look good in clothing.

I think tailoring is your best friend. Most store bought stuff is made with someone above average height in mind, around 5'7, so you can't just put it straight onto your body and expect it to look good. I think this is often why short women (and very tall women too) feel like they don't look good in certain clothes; the garment just wasn't created with your body in mind. I know it's an added expense (luckily for me my grandma has some mad sewing skills), but it really will make your clothes look so much better on you. It's not just the length or hem that needs altering, but everything from the straps, waist length, back length and width, the point at which the hip seams curve out and fall... that all needs altering for a smaller woman, hence why when you just lift up the bottom of a long dress, it'll still look 'wrong' on you if you're short.

Some things though I do think will never look good on a short woman. Large and bulky jackets for example. I remember when these Celine jackets were really trendy:
    [​IMG]
    They would look terrible on a short girl.
    Also oversized blazers which include shoulder padding (most do). When tailoring a blazer for a short woman, I think the padding should definitely be removed. We can't afford the extra width and structure they provide that looks so chic on tall women.

You should also try not to wear t-shirts, blouses, and jumpers that hit your mid-line, splitting the view of your body into 2 equal halves. Top's that are slightly cropped, just to the hip bone rather than crotch area where they usually fall on short women, look much better and make you look lengthened. I get almost all my tops hemmed.

Most basics though like jeans, short skirts, etc look just fine on short women, in fact I think short women can get away with shorter skirts than tall women usually, because it looks like less upper thigh is on display.

Let me know if any of this was useful! I have more I think I could write but I don't want to overwhelm your thread! :D

• Like Like x 5
  3. Claire Moon

Claire Moon A2 Top Model

I am 5'4'', not sure if you consider that short but it's at best average height in most places. I consider my self short but not too short since my height comes close to what's considered average female height for where I live.
    When I have less weight and less body fat on I can clearly see I appear taller. I'm not saying underweight or super skinny, just on the lower "healthy" BMI. I have to mantain my weight pretty low to make my bone structure more visible, even 5 pounds will make my face and upper arms very different :/
    Having a good posture does WONDERS to everyone but even more to shorter people. Working on your neck/shoulders/back posture can make you appear way classier and more elegant and of course taller.
    High waisted pants/skirts will also help to elongate your legs and imo gives a classy retro look.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Amber V

Amber V B2 Prom QUEEN

Great advice on top about getting your clothes tailored. If they sit on you well you instantly look more put together. I think a lot of focus should go into choosing the right bottoms. I see some celebrities on red carpet wearing floor-length wide pants with heels and I think it looks hideous. No, you don't look taller but now you certainly look like a toddler who got into momma's closet.
    GettyImages-1131895223.jpg Melissa-McCarthy-Pantsuit-2019-Oscars.jpg merlin_150500826_1c28f681-769d-467a-b3fe-d9469030ed17-master1050.jpg unnamed.jpg

I think us short girls can look really good in a long dress but might get haloed by smbdy who's taller. But that's the cross we have to bear. :/

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mathilde

Mathilde B1 Love Island Babe

I actually think being slim is even more important if you’re tall. If you’re tall and overweight you can potentially look less feminine. A short overweight girl can still be kinda cute, but a tall overweight girl is more likely to be seen as big and bulky.

Compare Nicole Richie (height 1.55m) when she was chubbier to Amy Schumer (height 1.7m):

A1AF22C9-AA8D-4D59-BA56-B4EFE4BDA1EF.jpeg 9DE94FF5-59BC-4FDB-B1DE-1DC499B03C05.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  6. Szoom

Szoom B2 Prom QUEEN

To look elegant and classy you should try to achieve the figure of a "short model" meaning you have to be extra careful about putting on weight.
    For reference, here is Megan Fox, she's quite short (5'3") but her slim figure makes her look taller and elegant in classy dresses.
    Also, heels are your best friends Teenage+Mutant+Ninja+Turtles+Tokyo+Premiere+VB5umruFMi5p.jpg megan_fox_14.jpg Transformers+Revenge+Fallen+Premiere+Berlin+1HpohHuIER7l.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mathilde

Mathilde B1 Love Island Babe

Wow I didn’t realise she was 5’3”! She looks taller than that!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Julie

Julie B3 Pretty Bitch

She says to be 5'4'', I didn't know that she was even shorter actually.
    She really looks much taller.

9. miamali

miamali A3 Instamodel

She has a small head which makes her look taller. She is short indeed. Keeping slim also helps looking proportional

• Like Like x 4
  10. Flores

Flores C3 puberty stage

I feel like it depends on how you look as well as how comfortable you are with what you are wearing.

b1d10180622fc6ff2c414e963b82f980.jpg
    Irina Shayk is 5'10
    Lucy hale is 5'2
    Selena gomez is 5'5

I feel like Selena and Irina look equally as good despite the height difference! And Elsa looks ok in my opinion but not as good as it fits selena or Irina.

• Like Like x 2